Pages

Monday, November 8, 2010

Letter From The Front; May 16th, 1918

France,
16 - 5 - 18,
My Dearest Muriel,

I was delighted to receive your ever welcome letter of April 24th this week. It seems strange to me that it is so much easier writing me than to some of your other correspondents however I'm glad that such is the case. I rec'd a letter recently from a young lady of Roseneath by the name of Brown. It seems that she met Alex Spears last winter at his brothers dance down there. She has been at several dances since and has danced with Alex quite a number of times and has mentioned it to me of him being so good at it. By the last letter I got I think Alex must have shot her quite a line about you & I as she kidded me quite a bit about it. One of the parts of letter read like this. Oh by the way Cecil I hear there is a nice little school marm near Gores Landing that likes to get a letter from you very very much and that she is awaiting your return from overseas before she takes the matrimonial notion in her head. Isn't that a pretty good one kid? Get right after Alex now the next time you see him at a dance about that and kid him good for awhile and then ask him what he has been telling about you down around there. I answered her saying about that. Well, the poor girl doesn't want to wait that long if she gets a line on another chap for at present I'm considering to Batch out the rest of my days as I'm taking lessons now every day in washing dishes and clothes etc. Did I answer her all right?

I had a letter from Aunt Mary yesterday again, that is two now in a very short time.

They are still at the baseball around here and Clark was up as a rooter to their team a few nights ago.

We are having pretty hot weather at present and if it continues getting  more so as the summer advances it would sure be melting. We are still on the same front and having it quiet as usual. 

This is sure some place for small bugs around here and are very pleasant, yes, in your bed at nights.

When I rec'd a letter from Gordon Budd recently at the time of writing he was in a hospital in Cape Town S.A. and that he would soon be in London again. He said he was pretty badly used up and would never be the same again. I'm afraid if Mrs. Budd loses another boy it will go pretty hard with her.

I think you and Joseph are getting pretty thick driving around so much together and using such nice language. Believe me I would have laughed at the old Gink if he had of kicked me out of the rig afterwards.

I have got rid of the creepers again for a change, some change believe me. I'm glad that my letters are interesting at all. It's hard to fill up a decent sized letter but I've done pretty well this time. I think the next day off duty I must write your mother. I am quite well at present and hope this finds you the same. I'll be over for that boat ride all right before long. I saw a couple good snaps of Florence recently. Write again soon.
With kindest thoughts            
Cecil                      

3 comments:

Bub said...

These letters are so fascinating to read. Do you have any that your grandmother wrote to your grandfather from that time?

Liz said...

Hi Bub. With Nov. 11th coming up, it seems a good way to remember. I'm glad you're enjoying it too. I've never seen a letter from my Grandma but I'll have to ask my Dad about it. My guess is that you couldn't hang on to much overseas as there was nowhere to keep it. Wonder if they could send it back?

Liz said...

Bub - I read through some more letters and in one he wrote that he had burned a bunch of letters as they thought they were going to be packing up and heading out. Kind of a shame as it would be neat to match them up.