Pages

Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Letter From The Front; July 16th, 1918

France
16-7-18
My Dearest Muriel ~

I was more than delighted to receive your very welcome and much appreciated parcel today. I hadn't had a good piece of cake for some time so you know how it would taste after the army rations all the time. I rec'd a big parcel from home a few days ago containing in all a big cake but was sorely disappointed on opening it for it was blue molded through and through. That is the first I have received yet to be in that condition and what puzzled me was that it was only on the road a short time and the cotton on the outside was dry and in good condition. Everything in your parcel was in A1 condition. The contents of the Comfort Kit Cover were just what I was needing the worst. Who's idea was it of sending such a good assortment of that kind. I am using the pencil for the first time on this letter tonight. I have often wondered how it was that you never kidded me about staying with the pencil so well. To tell the truth it was always my favorite and now during war times I have a little excuse. Oh yes I mustn't forget the flitters. They are excellent. I'm glad that you sent a few.

I rec'd your very welcome letter of June 21st a few days ago and two from Aunt Mary. In all I got 6 so I panned out real well in the last mail. We rec'd a big bunch of Cobourg Stars today and of course they were very interesting after not seeing any for so long. I read the entire evidence taken in connection with the burning of the Fenella cheese factory. I'm glad the poor beast wasn't so wet the time I landed in Cobourg with her perhaps I would have looked as cheap as the owner did had I been called to the stable there to have the Chief Cop and 3 or 4 others that might have tracked me in, questioning me as to where I was that night however it didn't happen that way. Just imagine Muriel up in Police Court. ha ha.

We had a very heavy rain storm last night with heavy lightening and thunder. A lot of our boys were very near flooded out of their dugouts some having several inches of water all over their floors. In mine in the morning at the guns there was about three inches but it helped to cool it off a lot as the day had been very close. Whit is still away on his signalling course and we have heard from him once. I have yet to see Clark which I hope to shortly. Did you notice in the Cobourg paper of Sergt Page being gassed. I was on the gun with him at the time but escaped although I did my share of sneezing and eyes watering and snorting however it passed off in a short time. We are still at the baseball. Well I guess I will ring off for this time. I see where we have a good lunch before retiring tonight as Bruce Thompson rec'd a parcel also. I am quite well at present. With love and best wishes Cecil. 

PS We are still on the same front.

4 comments:

Sharon Longworth said...

I'm loving these letters - every one a treasure. I've just been reading a book called Sunset Song, which is set in the same time. Hard to live through and hold on to love, sense, humanity and humour.

Mara said...

I know he was probably censured in his writing, but he sounds almost nonchalant about what happens to him. Or perhaps it was his way of dealing with the horrors, because it can't have been easy in those trenches!

Dorito said...

What's a 'flitter'?

Liz said...

Sharon - I'm glad you like them too. I've taken the dates of some of the letters and compared them to a WW1 timeline for the Cdns to get an idea where he may have been. Makes it even more interesting. (I looked up the book you mentioned. Sounds really good; may have to add it to my list.)

Mara - I've thought the same thing. He mentions being gassed and then playing baseball. Part of coping, I guess. I wonder, too, if part of it is that he's reading my Grandma's letters and answering her questions as he goes along.

Dorito - I haven't got a clue. The letters are all written in pencil and are hard to read. I studied that word for quite awhile wondering if maybe it should be fritter (wouldn't that make you happy). 'Flitter' is the best that I can come up with.


One thing I have learned is that soldiers with both the British and Canadian Expeditionary Forces had to bury their mailing address in the middle of the letter. Don't ask me why, though.