France
Nov. 12th, 1917
Dearest Muriel ~
Your most welcome letter of October 11th arrived safely this week also the snap shot and the two cards of the teachers convention. That snap was sure real good of you. I must say of course you know considering however it will fill the bill the very best. The ones I had taken in Scotland haven't arrived yet although the one of the group has been here for some time. None of the Canadian mail arriving here is censored at least none of ours has been so far but all going out is. Our officers do all our censoring unless we use the green envelope but they have been few and far between with us so far. I don't know if Dudley happens to censor any of mine or not however I should worry for you'll know where it came from and how should he happen to make a break any time for any thing that I may say in any of the letters. I don't happen to be acquainted with him however all the boys speak very well of him.
I had a letter from Irene Walker telling me that she was teaching near Centreton and I suppose it is in Gladys MacCullough's old school. The people she boards with are C.O.B. and she has to go to church with them and so is afraid she will lose all her Methodistism. Apparently she is about as big a chip as ever. I think out where she is will be kind of quiet for her. My address will be still the 1st Can. Siege Battery. We are still having considerable wet weather and the mud about as bad as ever. There hasn't been a night yet but our feet are soaking wet. Night before last we were all drenched to the hide and I rolled in with some wet clothes on. Before that I had been coughing considerable but that put the kibash on it for I haven't coughed since. I think that is rather cheap cough mixture, what think you! I haven't saw Clark yet. He was in town for a few days but I hear today from a reliable source that he is gone again. I saw your brother a few days ago and a fellow that I see him with considerable told me today that he is still on the job alive and well. One chap in the battery had his head blown off yesterday with a shell. We have lost 15 of our chaps now one way and another. Two have been killed, 7 wounded and 6 gone for minor operations. These are all boys of our last draft. We get shelled very near every night around or near our billets. I have got quite used to it now for I seldom hear it at nights at all. We have lots of company now also galore of rats about. I pull my rubber cape over my head at nights so the rats will have a clear run way. You would think at times that they were having 100 yard dashes for prizes by the speed that they travell. I'm glad to know they are enjoying themselves. I'm sure you did real well at the last letter but please have a heart and don't expect me to ever pull off that much especially here in France. I think if you answered all the letters you mentioned about receiving that well you will be writing yet. I am glad your mother got the letter all right. I suppose I will be hearing from her again some time all being well. Bert Spear is bunking with me at present. You needn't worry about our conversation that time for there was little said about you however I could easily tell you all anytime that we meet in the future which I hope won't be long. I don't think this scrap can last many more years by the way things are going at present. There has been no cold weather here yet although there was frost this morning. All the boys are well at present. I suppose the dances will soon be in full swing in the Landing again and about the time that arrives the old boat will be stopped. Well I think this is the limit for this time so heres hoping to hear from you soon again. Bye bye for this time. Sincerely,
Cecil
No comments:
Post a Comment