Pages

Sunday, March 27, 2011

Busy As Beavers

Paul's brother, his wife, their four boys, one girlfriend and two dogs were out here by about ten yesterday morning, dressed down and ready to go. Our schedules were all clear so we had made a weekend date to start on the wood. The day was beautifully sunny and the temperature sat just a smidge above zero. Perfect for working outside and, best of all, no blackflies.

We all greeted each other and the mugs of hot coffee were doled out. Then Paul and his brother started up their chainsaws and the work began. As they cut through the logs, two others worked the splitter and the rest of us, fifteen years of age and older, stacked wood. Some went into their trailer, some in the back of our truck and the rest into a pile nearby. 

Cutting and splitting

All two legged creatures under fifteen (that aren't winged), played hide and seek in the woods and later separated into teams, each soldier equipped with a toy gun of some sort, and sharing the walkie talkies, spent the better part of the weekend running, hiding and spying.

The dogs had a grand ole time running and chasing too. The chickens weren't too thrilled but managed to avoid being retrieved. Rosie had the time of her life with her two new friends. And, oh, what fun, lying down in the mucky water, or is it watery muck, out back! By the end of Saturday, she looked like a black lab from the belly down. She was smiling.

Sunday, our sister-in-law had to work, but the rest were back out shortly after ten. It was a little cooler today, not quite making it to the freezing mark, but bright and sunny again. I had a bit of a fight later in the day trying to bring the sheets in off the line - under the clothespins, the wet flannel froze and surrounded the line with ice. Not exactly gardening season yet, by a long shot, but those pillowcases are gonna smell soooo good when I go to bed tonight.

Almost through the first load of logs
It was another productive day and close to half the logs have been cut. Paul's chainsaw ended up a casualty on the day. Not sure if it can be repaired but he'll look into it. Considering it was never meant for this much work, we've done okay by it. My fingers are crossed, though.

All in a weekend's work
So, between the trailer and truck, five loads have found their way to the Landing, another load will go tomorrow and soon they'll be stocked up for next winter. This week, we'll start splitting our share and get it stacked and then on to Paul's sister's load. It's nice to finish up a weekend with lots accomplished. We're all tired. But it's a good tired.

16 comments:

Fiona said...

Yes, it is a 'good tired' that comes from a day of working. I chuckle at your idea that zero degrees is good weather for working though! I've never experienced zero, even in the dead of winter!

Marguerite said...

Fantastic job! How great that there were so many helping hands. I love working in that early spring weather. You get warm from all the running around but not too warm.

Leah said...

Sounds like the perfect work party for all creatures involved! It's true that many hands make light work, isn't it?

Motherhen said...

Sounds like fun! I'm sure you'll look back on it fondly next fall when you are burning that wood!

Liz said...

Fiona - after working in an office all week, it's good to accomplish something other than moving papers around. I can't believe you've never experienced zero before. Then again, maybe I'm just jealous. ;-)

Marguerite - it was cool but the sun was warm. As long as you're dressed for it, it's great working weather.

Leah - I can't believe we got through as much as we did!

Motherhen - it was fun. And they're a great bunch to work with.

Olga said...

This must be very interesting, to have such a wonderful project. I'm looking forward to seeing the result.

Mara said...

I am tired just reading this!
Did the sheets become unfrozen enough to actually go on the bed?

Stoney Creek Homestead said...

Liz, now that your crew are seasoned, would like to come here and do that for me? But I think whatever y'all put up, we might have to triple that. Colder, longer winters, and I only heat with wood. Are ya up for it? :)

Congrats to y'all for a job well done. It is a lot of work putting up wood for the winter!!!

Dorito said...

Hey, people pay good money at the gym for a workout like this.

Carolina said...

Sooooo, you're ready for a cold winter and spring hasn't even sprung yet. Good work! Let me make you slightly jealous... the weather has been lovely here. Nice and springy and sunny and even sort of warm. And 'they say' it will be about 18 degrees Celsius this weekend. Seeing is believing, but we live in hope. I'll send some warm sunshine your way. We have plenty. HA! ;-)

Bub said...

There's not much that can beat the smell of getting into a bed made up of freshly washed bedding that's been hung out to dry.

I bet after all that hard work you all slept like babies!

Liz said...

Olga - we'll certainly have lots of wood by the time we're done.

Mara - oh, they smelled so good. And they weren't frozen.

Cheryl - my kids would probably all for helping out with your wood...if they can play with your baby sheep too.

Dorito - the ole back was starting to hurt but it's all good now.

Carolina - I much prefer -15. Okay, that's a lie. They're calling for +11 and sun here this weekend. That's pretty good.

Bub - I slept so well, I didn't even hear Paul snoring

Stoney Creek Homestead said...

Liz, your kids can even feed the babies!!!

Liz said...

I put them on the bus and they're on their way west right now. ;-)

Unknown said...

We had the woodstove going last night for the first time this season, but we're not as organised as you! All our firewood is in the paddock (felled by previous owners) and waiting to be cut. The chainsaws have been serviced and ready to go, but it keeps raining! Also I laughed at your dog in the mucky water, our dogs always find something gross to bathe in, and then whinge about having a proper bath to get clean again.

Liz said...

Farmer Liz - welcome! I'm hoping we're done for fires this season, although the forecast is for -7 tomorrow night. As for being organized, I'm not sure what happened this year. Usually, we're not. :-)