France7-10-18,Dearest Muriel,
Your very welcome letters of August 28th and of Sept. 3rd and 9th have all arrived safely recently. We have been shifting here and there and all over of late so my correspondence has been sadly neglected. I suppose I could have dropped a field card at least but carelessness as usual. I was surprised to hear of Dudley censoring the letter however I should worry as he has left us recently for to join another battery. We have been seeing some of the real stuff since leaving our old summer position but all's going well and good to date. I have just saw Clark the once since coming onto this front and have lost track of him again. I saw Hilton again though a few days ago but not to speak to. We are having not so bad weather for Fall but the days are sure shortening up a lot. I hope to get away on leave the last of this month or the beginning of next. You asked me how the Scotch lass was. Well as far as I know she is A1. She and the family have been holidaying for a month up in the castle of Scotland. She sent me some dandy views and one was the Inclicape Rock and lighthouse. I suppose I will have to give her a few calls for sending so many. It is a good house to go to as they all seem very friendly. There are three more girls in the family but no boys. My favourite happens to be the baby although she is over 20 by a few years. I guess I hadn't better say much more or you will know more about her than I do myself. ha ha. Saw one of the Manley boys recently. I happen not to know him. I wish I could send some of the souvenirs I have, safely home just now. I guess I will hardly get many there though. I am enclosing a German form of field card or rather for a short letter that I picked up the other day. It is quite a dandy little rig at that. We sure see lots of different little articles of this lying about at present. Our mail seems to be coming in pretty well at present. I rec'd the parcel O.K. a few nights ago from the willing workers and it sure came in pretty handy as we moved that evening. It came through in fine shape. Well I suppose you are hard at the teaching again. Can you see yourself in the store as well as you did at first? Well kid, I guess I will have to ring off for this time. I am quite well at present and I hope this finds you likewise.
As everCecil
*******
Saturday is going to be a very special day...
4 comments:
Hi Liz, great letter! Now I'm so full of questions about what happened next - can you turn this into the opening chapter of a book for me?
And my knowledge of world events is embarrassingly thin - but I think I read somewhere that it's thanksgiving in Canada today - is that right? If so - hope you and the family have one very fine weekend.
Liz - Nice bit of time travel. So different, yet exactly the same as now. Haha for LOL (which i hate - not h8). You got a lot of those? Tell me more.
Philip
I like the "Well kid," ending.
Sharon - It is a great letter. Oh, the history. And you're right; it is Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend. Thanks for the good wishes. We get Monday off, so it's predestined to be a great weekend.
Philip - I have a shoebox full of these ninety-year old letters home. Not sure how I ended up the lucky one of the thirty-some cousins to get these, but I'm awfully happy to have them. I like the 'ha ha' too. Hee hee.
Dorito - I like the 'well kid' bit too. If you click on the tag "letters home", you'll see he used the term in the letter I put up in the spring.
Post a Comment