Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

Can't Beat These Chips

The boys and I hit the Farmers' Market yesterday and picked up another flat of strawberries for drying. After putting them in the van, we returned and wandered around. Eventually we stopped at the Allin's Orchard table for some apples. I suggested the boys take a look at the apples and pick one. Apparently I should have been slightly more specific in my instructions - they both picked a candy apple. The guy behind the table laughed and told them that the pickers get really sticky when they take them off the trees. By the look on the boys' faces, they weren't too sure whether to believe him or not.

Once we finished at the market, we stopped at a friend's house to drop off the manual for our tent trailer that they're borrowing for the week. As I spoke with my friend, the boys bounced on their trampoline. We wished them a good trip and then over to Kawartha Dairy to pick up a week's worth of milk and a little ice cream treat.

Yesterday was Dorito's birthday, so, later in the day, the kids and I loaded into the van and went down to the Shwa. We sang a rousing yet slightly out-of-tune rendition of Happy Birthday (the 'live in a zoo' version), visited for a bit and then popped over to Dad's. Dad has decided to join Facebook - no small feat for a computer newbie. He had signed up and then couldn't get into his account. Riley, the resident expert, was there to assist. In no time, she was through to his page, had sent out a couple of friend requests and had a profile picture - of his lovely begonias - all set up. High-fives for the eleven-year-old. Then home.

Today was strawberry day. I spent the afternoon slicing up berries and arranging them on the trays. Dorito was kind enough to give us a basket of plums from Cookies' over-producing trees, so they were sliced up and are drying in the dehydrator alongside the berries. We tried drying plums a couple weeks ago and Cammy and Nolan love them. They can't wait to get their paws on them when they get up in the morning.

Fresh local produce ready to become strawberry and plum chips.

(Thank you Cookie and Dorito for sharing the goodies!)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your welcome. There's tons more.

Liz said...

I heard. You should try drying some.

Dorito said...

Aww...did you hear what Nolie said to me before you all left?

He said he'll hug me first next time he sees me.

Awwww....

Liz said...

Awwww....he's so good to you.

Dorito said...

You're not paying him too, are you?

Liz said...

Um, pretty much, yep.