Pages

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Skipper - Five of Seven

A couple weeks back, the kids and I made the morning trip to Julie's before I continued on into work. With the van parked, we hopped out and headed up the driveway. Cammy and Ri ran on ahead leaving the two stragglers in their dust. As Nolan approached the turn, from driveway to pathway, he started to skip. I started to grin.

Last summer, I was walking into Loblaws (a grocery store in these parts) when I spotted a little girl of about five or six. She was holding the hand of a gentleman I imagined to be her grandpa. She was skipping and with every step she pulled on her grandpa's arm, swinging it back and forth. I grinned then as I do now just thinking about it.

There's something almost perfect about skipping. At that moment, in that place, the child doesn't have a care in the world and everything is a-okay. Which is, afterall, the way it should be.

Nolan skipping for this unabashedly staged photo

5 comments:

Sharon Longworth said...

Liz, you are so right - skipping is such a perfect way of showing you haven't a care in the world. I recommend skipping while singing 'Let's go fly a kite' out loud.
Well, it works for me....

Liz said...

Now, if I recall correctly, skipping and the singing of said song occurred at a certain blogging-couple's wedding, yes?

Sharon Longworth said...

You have a very good power of recall....

wendyytb said...

How can you not smile at the sight of that happy little boy???

Liz said...

It was good of him to take time out of playing soldiers with Cammy to skip for me. Nothing like the site of a boy skipping with a toy gun in his hand. (And the other hiding behind a wall looking for bad guys.)