Pages

Sunday, May 23, 2010

Getting Ready for the Garden

Dorito and I went on a bit of a road trip yesterday. It was the first day of the plant sale at the Cottage Gardener in Newtonville. A couple years ago we made the mistake of going on the second weekend of the sale and it was largely picked over. This time we were there within a half hour of it opening. Lots of goodies ripe for the picking - figuratively speaking.

We parked on the lawn and listened to a rooster crow as we made our way to the greenhouse, all the while swatting droves of hungry mosquitoes. Blackfly season, it appears, has ended. I picked up several types of tomatoes (Bloody Butcher, Czech Select, Eva Purple Ball, Isis Candy and Savignac) and a few butternut squash starts. Then I did the unthinkable. I broke down and bought some sweet pepper plants. *gasps are heard throughout bloggerland, then silence* I know. I know. What could I possibly have been thinking, you ask. Quite frankly, and I'm not too proud to admit this, I wasn't thinking. As many of you poor souls who've been reading this drivel for sometime know, I have no luck, that's z.e.r.o. luck, with pepper plants. I've cursed them. I've badmouthed them. I may have even stuck my tongue out at them on the rarest of occasions. And I vowed I would never bother with a pepper plant again. Well, I caved. I picked up a Bull Nose and a King of the North. Dorito should have stopped me. A true friend would have tried. I guess we're even. She doesn't have a garden, yet went home with several plants and packets of seeds herself. The season begins.


7 comments:

Philip Dodd said...

I'm going to do like I did last year and try some seeds out of chillies and peppers from the fridge. Shouldn't work - so if it does it's a bonus. We should do some seed swap end of this year and see what grows where next year.

Dorito said...

Hey...I have big plans this year.

B.I.G.


I don't read your blog, so how would i know if you had bad luck with peppers?

Liz said...

That sounds like fun, Philip. I'll save some seeds.


How do you know I had b.a.d. luck with peppers?

Leah said...

Ooh- how about I tag along next year? The Cottage Gardener is one of my favorite mail-order heirloom seed companies! Was that a greenhouse in your last post? Then those peppers should do just fine. (I've had poor luck with peppers too- especially sweet peppers- but I can't seem to give it up either.)

Liz said...

You know what Leah? I'd noticed that you get quite a few of your seeds from the Cottage Gardener and was thinking of you on the way there. (Honestly!) I had actually planned to take more pictures but between the mosquitoes and the choices, this was the only one I got. If you ever happen to be down this way on the May long weekend, you'd be most welcome to tag along. :-)

(It's a chicken coop)

Dorito said...

Ask me if I planted my plants yet.

Liz said...

Dorito. Have you planted anything yet?