Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

And Back to School They Go

Lots going on. Friday, Dorito and I went in to Toronto for glass water bottles. We were lost for only a short time, took the (very) scenic route (I didn't know that's where Holland Landing is) and then made our way towards Uxbridge to go to Richters Herbs. We seem to manage a trip there every couple of years. This time I picked up a peppermint plant and a Vick's plant.

Saturday, I zipped into Peterborough for the Farme
rs Market. Must have been the great weather 'cause it sure was busy. Picked up some more strawberries (dried and in jars now), got a great deal on green peppers (still to be dried) and grabbed a couple dozen eggs. Then home, loaded up the kids and went to Oshawa. Ri was staying overnight with Elaine so I wanted to be down there before she closed the flower shop at 1. We made it. Dropped Ri off and headed out again. Stopped by the blueberry patch for one last basket of fresh blueberries. While I picked, the boys played in the nearby field. At one point, they both had blueberries in their ears, smushed on their noses and were saying to each other, "Roger that." They so remind me of their Dad sometimes.

Sunday, we had a wonderful visit from Paul's sister Margaret, who's up from down East. Yes, this would be wife of SCUMbaagg, who, I'm happy to say, is just boring ole SUMbaagg now. She and Paul's Mum and Dad were good enough to pick Ri up and then come out for the day. I think Margaret was surprised at how much fl
avour is in those strawberry chips and was astounded at how much useless information we provided. (Did you know that there's one silk for each kernel of corn?) It was good to have them all out.

Today I dried a few more herbs, baked a blueberry buckle (Ri's choice for back to school) and zucchini brownies (Cammy's choice, although he doesn't know about the zucchini part, and we'll keep it that way for now), and went for a walk (oh, the free apples! if only I could get at them!!). Nolan will be able to put pictures up in his cubby at school, so I wanted to get a nice picture of the kids together in the woods. I don't think it was poison ivy that they walked through to get to the tree.

And, tomorrow, the Tuesday after Labour Day, Cammy and Ri will be getting on the bus and heading back to school. Grades 2 and 5. And wee Nolan starts JK next Monday. As Cammy said tonight, "Why does summer go so fast?"

4 comments:

Dorito said...

Ya Liz, Why DOES Summer go so fast?


Ooooh, codeword is 'mates'.

Liz said...

I dunno. Who can we talk to about this? (Should have taken this week off, me thinks. I'll live vicariously through you.)

Dorito said...

And I'll live vicariously through Angelina Jolie.

Liz said...

Mmmm, good point.

Mmmm.