We were sitting down to supper tonight when the phone rang. I could tell something was wrong by the way Paul spoke. It was brother Enos calling to let us know that his dog, Sandy, passed away today. He came home from work to find her lying in the livingroom with her brother Willie by her side.
Paul asked Enos if he wanted to bury her here with her mum, Chimo who died last summer. He did. Paul and I dug the hole and an hour or so later we buried our girl on the top of the hill next to Chimo. Enos thought it a fine spot with a wonderful view. And mother and daughter are together again. Rest in peace.
10 comments:
This is such sad news!
Sandy was so cute! I didn't see much of her, but one meeting stands out in my memory. I remember one time I was at your house, opening the trunk of my car, and I look down, and there's Sandy, looking at me like she's trying to figure me out :"Is she a nice person? Will she pet me?"...so I says, "Hi", to her, and she then started to turn quickly in circles, round and round, but do it in a hopping fashion, like she just couldn't contain herself. I don't think I've ever seen a dog hop in one spot in circles before. I remember that she made me feel very welcomed that day, and when I think of that meeting, I still chuckle.
Rest in peace Sandy.
When she was a pup, she had gone to another home. Paul used to see her, tied on a short rope to a tree, always alone. Broke his heart. He told the owners that if they didn't want her we'd be glad to take her back. No, they'd never do that. A year later we got a call and home she came. Best thing that ever happened to her, I think, was coming back to us and living with Enos & Willie.
I think the best thing for Enos to do now is to go out there, and get another pup...preferably a Border Collie.
Hey, I tried...
Seriously, your pet passes on, but they are always around you. To this day, when I'm out in the forest, I reach down to my right and pet Blackie, even though he's been gone for years. I can feel his presence right there beside me.
There's a Rudyard Kipling poem that goes..."Should we give our hearts to a dog to tear?"
Hell ya :)
I hate that they're getting old and that Kokanee's not yet back to her old self, but I wouldn't trade those furry dogs for the world.
Okay, I'm going to tell you a story about Sandy Jesse. (Sandy seemed a rather boring name compared to the rest of our group so we added Jesse, as in Sally Jesse who I think was a talk show host or something. Enos liked the name Jesse because Jesse was Waylon Jennings wife's name. And, of course, that went beautifully with our dog Waylon and his dog Willie. I still think we should have called her Reba.)
Anyway, Sandy rejoined us after we'd moved here and had not been trained to the invisible fence like the others. So, we did our bit and trained her not to wander off the property. Or so we thought. On several occassions, we heard incessant barking and would head out to hunt for the source. Every time, we'd find Sandy, who had run through the line, been zapped and then waited on the other side for someone to rescue her and bring her back. She was on the side of freedom but she never took off.
Well, she didn't run off because the grass is always greener on the other side.
You know, that last time I saw Sandy, was about a month or so ago, with you, at Enos' house. I was impressed she was sitting next to me, letting me pet her for so long a time...then I realized what she really was doing was sidling up to the donut I left on the table. Haha.
Willie would have taken it in a heartbeat
Dear Liz,
Please pass on our condolences to your brother and of course they go to you guys to.
We had to have old Generic put down last week. He had made it to 29 years old and of that time- I had him for 21. He was my first horse that I have ever owned and he was my old friend. Laura has known him all her life.
It is a very hard thing to lose a pet as they become so much a part of the family. He was quite ill in the last two weeks of his life so he is now in a better place and has left us with the most wonderful memories; and that is a very special thing.
Thinking of you all,
Love Margaret
I still think of those "little" furballs as "my" puppies. Sandy certainly lucked out when she ended up back with her brother Willie a.k.a. Chuckie. "Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole".
My sympathies
Margaret - I'm so sorry to hear about Generic. They are family, aren't they?
Marian - Chuckie. Heehee. He's quite a fetcher, isn't he?
Thanks to you both. I've passed your sympathies on to Guy.
Post a Comment