Pages

Friday, February 24, 2012

Now That's Entertainment

We've haven't had much of a winter this year. Actually, it's pretty much sucked. A little snow followed by mild temperatures and rain pretty much sums up the season. Until today, that is. 

They'd been calling for about 10 to 15cm of snow up in these parts - more than we've seen in a single dumping this year. In the end, we got close to ten. The roads weren't great, so I stayed in at lunch even though I'd forgotten to bring something to eat. By afternoon, I had a headache and we were all thankful that it was Friday. What we needed was some entertainment to see us through to the weekend.

Around 2:30, maybe 3 o'clock, two guys with snow shovels walked through the field across the road. I watched them, kind of puzzled as to where they'd be going with these shovels. The City takes care of the sidewalks and the roads and they'd come from the parking lot of an empty factory. Halfway across the field, they dropped their tools and each started rolling a snowball. In no time, they had a couple of huge white balls. After trying to lift the smaller of the two on top of the big one, they gave up, broke it and put it in place. From there, they added snow and soon they had a pretty darn good sized snowman. Around this time, a camera person from our neighbours at CHEX TV arrived and started filming.

The guys disappeared for a bit and then reappeared with branches.  Soon, two more people with a bag of goodies joined the scene. Out came a carrot for a nose, a cucumber for a mouth and some unknowns that became eyes and buttons. Cars drove by honking and giving them thumbs up. Once finished, the snowman-crew left and CHEX reappeared.  They had a bit more filming to do.

Tonight, at 6 o'clock, the kids and I watched the local news and, sure enough, there were our friends, back to entertain us. Best snowman I've seen in a long time. 




(Be sure to watch right through so you can see how the snowman turned out.)

5 comments:

Stoney Creek Homestead said...

Pretty cool snowman!! We haven't had much snow here either. This winter has been abnormally warm. The locals can't recall a winter like this one!!

Mara said...

That's a good snowman! The only snow we've had was about three centimeters. Not even enough to make a snowcat with!

Carolina said...

Very impressive. Such fun :-)

Marguerite said...

that's great! his arms are absolutely giant. we were expecting the same storm but only received rain and wind. so now the snow we did have is being washed away

Liz said...

Cheryl - Paul's loving it but I'd rather it was a little colder and there was snow instead of rain. More fun for the kids. Hope you guys are okay for your water table.

Mara - it is a good one, isn't it? How about a snow kitten?

Carolina - my coworkers and I watched them out the window for quite awhile. Didn't get much work done, either.

Marguerite - I thought I saw yellow ribbons on the branches and one of the guys I work with said they were probably trees that were marked for saving. ;-)