Pages

Thursday, March 3, 2011

Doth The Moon Shine That Night We Play Our Play?

As I look to the heavens, I see no sign of a moon but the stars sure did shine tonight.

Finally, after months of practice, initially during recesses and more recently on Saturday's and after school, the curtain rose for Riley and her fellow thespians. Tonight the school gymnasium was transformed into a 16th century forest as the Drama Club presented Shakespeare's A Midsummer Night's Dream.

Riley, my stage-loving goofball, portrayed Tom Snout, the tinker who plays Wall in the play-within-a-play. Home with the flu, she had missed the final dress rehearsal on Tuesday but thankfully has fully recovered and, knock on wood, none of the rest of us have come down with anything. I had worried a little today, as my stomach turned from time to time, that the bug had found its next victim. I couldn't miss the play. However, once we were seated and the lights had dimmed, my tummy miraculously recovered. Ri may not get butterflies, but I sure as heck do.

The kids put on a fabulous show. And let me tell you, if I come away understanding what happened in a Shakespearean tale, they must have done a fine job. (If it wasn't for Coles Notes in highschool, my marks in English would have been considerably lower.) 

Tonight Peterborough, tomorrow...Stratford...

"In the same interlude it doth befall, that I, one Snout by name, present a Wall"
(Look how she towers over the older boys. Awww.)

5 comments:

Sharon Longworth said...

Well that's it sorted then. When I finally make it to Canada, I'm coming straight round to yours for a big long luvvy thespian chat with Riley!
I'm so glad it went well.
Oh, and just a word of warning, the only reason I ended up on our village stage was that I'd spent years and years watching my daughters perform and finally decided I'd give it a go myself. It's contagious. Be careful!

Liz said...

I like the sounds of that. The visit, I mean. Not too worried about the call of the stage, though. Unless, maybe, I could play Ma Ingalls...

Philip Dodd said...

I like the use of christmas trees. And I've never seen a better wall.

Ri said...

That was a play well cast, I thought it was fun playing the part of a talking wall (I think talking walls exist) And mom, someday you might want a chance in the spotlight! I wouldn't say "Not likely" because you never know what will happen in the future!!!

Liz said...

Philip - indeed she was a fine wall. A tall wall, but a fine wall.

Ri - not likely