Pages

Monday, December 6, 2010

Look Who Dropped By

It's a heckuva long journey across that body of water we call the Atlantic Ocean, but good old Sinterklaas and his buddy Black Peter were kind enough to make the trip. This morning, the kids awoke to find chocolate letters in their shoes and an assortment of sweets about the hearth. Rumour has it that Oma, Opa and Sinterklaas know each other from way back and each year they put in a good word. Upon hearing their dear friend had dropped by, they grinned widely. 

Peppermunt ballen, Vruchtenhartjes and Ri's favourite, Speculaas

11 comments:

Dorito said...

Oh Lord, not the black licorice salted candies.

Code word: Phato

Liz said...

No, Sinterklaas held back on those this year. Phew. Sadly, though, they usually find their way into Paul's stocking on Christmas Eve. That and the 'rabbit turds'.

wendyytb said...

I LOVE the salted licorice! I remember when the bakery truck used to pass our cottage in Grimsby Beach. I was little, but I always asked for that candy!

Mara said...

It seems you had more from Sinterklaas than I did. I must not have been a very good girl this year. *Sigh*

Liz said...

Hi Wendy - I can handle a few of the double zouts but the triple? Whoa.

Mara - I think we just got the leftovers. My kids haven't been very good either. ;-)

Dorito said...

That's just some crazy-ass candy there.

btw, are you buying me clogs for Christmas? I'll take the unpainted ones if that's all they have. I'll paint windmills on them.

It will be perfect for 'casual Friday'.

Liz said...

Enos is going to whittle you some and then Cammy's going to get out his markers. But don't tell them I told you. It's a surprise.

Stoney Creek Homestead said...

what is salted licorice? and I realise if I had to ask, I have never had it. although I do love black licorice.

Dorito said...

Whittle while you work!

Dorito said...

How did the shoes get so clean? Are they new?

Liz said...

Cheryl - salted licorice is this horrid 'treat' that all people of Dutch heritage eat. I can handle a couple of the double salt but the triple...well, I don't think there's a word in the English language to describe it. Paul loves them.

Clean shoes? Here? You're funny.