Pages

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Summertime Treat On A Cool Autumn Day

Way back in the summer, I wandered next door for a visit. Darlene had gone up town but I stayed anyway and chatted with Dave. Soon, a car rattled up the driveway and pulled into the drive shed. Out popped Darlene enjoying an ice cream cone. Mint, I think. Interesting. I didn't know that scooped ice cream was to be had in the village. I tucked that little tidbit of information away for another day and we had a nice visit in the shade of the old maple tree, out behind the milkhouse.

After lunch today, I shooed the kids upstairs to change into long pants and socks. They're still in summer-mode despite the autumn temperatures. Twelve degrees, I reasoned, didn't qualify as shorts-weather, even for me. Once all were appropriately attired and had peed, we left for a walk to the village. Except Riley, who rode her bike. And then complained that we walked slow. Eleven year-olds.

"Would you hurry up! Stop looking at trees."
Unlike a past walk, the boys didn't bother searching for lightsabers. No, this time they were soldiers. Up in the hills, through the trees, always on alert and scouting for...bad guys.

Marching-in-step needs a little work. Hup...
Eventually, we arrived in the village and made our way along the highway to the little shop where - surprise! - we found Kawartha Dairy ice cream on tap. I know! What are the odds?! Cammy had the Cotton Candy variety, Ri went with Chewy Chocolate Caramel, and their dear ole ma inhaled the Muskoka Mocha. Oh, 'scuse me; I'm drooling again. Nolan held out for a jawbreaker from the General Store a little farther up the road. Then, we turned around, summer-time treats in hand and headed back home. Not once, did we have to worry about it melting. 

10 comments:

Bub said...

The trees are a bee-yoo-tiful colour. Twelve degrees is most definitely not shorts-weather - brrr!

After being on high alert and scouting for bad guys during your walk, I think the ice-cream was well deserved and no doubt highly appreciated.

Liz said...

There was a time when I could've handled 12 deg in shorts but alas...

It was a good thing we went for the ice cream when we did; they were just about out. Oddly, they're not restocking for winter. I guess the snowmobilers don't stop for ice cream?

Mara said...

Cotton Candy flavour ice-cream? Oh, that sounds absolutely yummy. I am drooling now...

Liz said...

Hi Mara - the ice cream flavours are definitely more interesting nowadays. And very good.

Leah said...

Such nice scenery for your walk into town! Love those local-flavour names like Muskoka Mocha.

Liz said...

I like the local names too. Although, if they hadn't been out of the Moose Tracks, I probably would have gone for that. Either way, it's all yummy.

Carolina said...

Muskoka Mocha...mmmmmmmmyummmmmm I love mocha ice cream. Looks like a beautiful route to walk to the village :-)

Liz said...

Mmmmm, it's very good. And, you're right, the trail is beautiful. This time of year you may meet up with an ATV or two but that's about it. Don't have to worry about cars.

Carolina said...

Now I'm going to dream about riding my horse down that road to the village to get a Muskoka Mocha icecream *sigh*

Liz said...

We've met up with people on horseback too. Don't remember any of them with ice cream, though. ;-)

(The path is an old railroad line; the tracks were pulled up decades ago. There are gates at either end, wide enough for people, horses and ATVs but no cars.)