Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Vinegar and Honey

A couple weeks ago, I was visiting Cheryl (figuratively-speaking) at Good Nuf Ranch and she was posting about pickles. (She's in Deadwood Alberta - how's that for a great town name?!) Anyhoo, I'd kept it in the back of my head - the pickles I mean - for later. A few nights ago, as I was going through my Bernardin book, I came across the recipe for the same pickles. Yesterday was Farmers' Market day, so I picked up everything I needed and today they're all put up and sitting on the counter. I didn't bother taking pictures as Cheryl's got that covered. (Besides, I was busy refereeing my offspring dear, sweet monsters loving brats children while slicing cukes.) Go take a look.

There's also a yummy-looking fruit cocktail concoction in the book, made with peaches, pears, grapes and maraschino cherries (don't let the picture on the link fool you). With the exception of the cherries, the fruit is from Niagara, the honey's from the Kawarthas and the mint is from my backyard! Yea!! (At least something grew this year.) Oh, and the water's from our well. Wa-hoo! Local water!

Sweet Sliced Dills and Summer Fruit Cocktail

10 comments:

Dorito said...

Geez, you've been busy.

Liz said...

And I'm almost out of applesauce.

*sigh*

But I'm still in love with my maslin pan.

Stoney Creek Homestead said...

I love my maslin pan. Although it now suffers from stress cracks. I wonder if there is a cure!

Liz said...

Rum works for me. ;-)

Dorito said...

Last year's applesauce? It's apple season, isn't it?

We always go in October, and miss out on the September apples.

Amber said...

Looks great! I love the fruit cordial.

This weekend I harvested and pickled my beets. Three days and 17 jars later, I finally got my first canning of the season under my belt.

Phew!

Liz said...

Alrighty Dorito, September and October it is.

Hey Amber - hopefully the fruit tastes as good as it looks. Aren't you glad it cooled down for canning? Looking forward to seeing pictures of the canned beets over your way.

Motherhen said...

Everything looks great. I've got that Bernardin recipe book, but our cukes were a disaster this year though.

I'm up to my eyeballs in apples for applesauce though.

Liz said...

I think applesauce is next on my agenda. 'Tis the season of plenty, isn't it?

BigMouseWorld said...

This is aa great blog