Pages

Friday, September 10, 2010

A Cuppa Coffee On Gum-Smack Day - Sixth of Seven

The kids have settled into the routine of school this week and I, adjusting quickly as always, am sure to have mornings running smoothly by early November. Friday's on the bus are a special day. Christopher, our bus driver, has christened it Gum-Smack Day - the one day of the week when the kids can chew gum. They've got it made.

One day last spring, I took a sip of my much-needed morning coffee as the kids boarded the bus. Christopher jokingly asked, "Where's mine?"

I replied, "I didn't know how you take it."

"With milk," he answered with a sly grin.

"Alright."

On the next Gum-Smack Day, the kids and I announced that, from that day forth, Friday's would also be known as Coffee-Smack Day and we handed him a hot cup of coffee. A big smile spread across his face...very much like the one that spread across mine. He thanked us very much and off they went. That day, a tradition was born that continued until the end of school in June.

Today was the first Gum-Smack Day of the new school year and with it came the first coffee delivery of the 2010 season. A wide grin crept across Christopher's face. Mine was bigger.

8 comments:

Bub said...

Aww, such a simple act but one that's obviously much appreciated. It's also one of those things the kids will fondly recall as adults. Lovely!

*warm, fuzzy feeling going on here*

Liz said...

I think one of the things this meme (seven things that make you smile) is showing, is how simple the things are in life that bring about those really big goofy smiles. The stuff that makes your day. (Of course, alcohol does too but this is a family-friendly blog.)

Dorito said...

Lucky he asked for milk. If he asked for cream he'd be S.O.L.

Liz said...

Alright, alright. Next time you visit I'll get cream.

Dorito said...

Oh, don't go to any trouble.

Liz said...

Don't worry.

Leah said...

I bet your stop is the driver's favorite. What a great little story- I'm smiling here too.

Liz said...

:)

It's one of those things that takes no time or effort to do and everyone gets a big kick out of it.