Where was I? Oh yes. Last Friday we were at the H.H.of F. After stopping for a picture of all the boys at the Bobby Orr display, the batteries in my camera died. I confiscated Ri's camera whenever I wanted to take a really great and awesomely posed picture but, alas, I can't figure out how to take them off her camera. So, from here on in, you'll have to use your imagination.
We wandered around and came upon the lucky loonie that was buried at centre ice in Salt Lake City in 2002. The puck is encased in plastic with fingertip-size holes around the edge; just big enough to put your finger in and touch it. I have a picture of Cammy and Nolan touching it.
Next, we climbed the stairs of the old bank that part of the Hall resides in. And what a room it was. All the big trophies were on display - the Vezina, Lady Byng, Conn Smythe and, of course, the most sought after trophy in hockey - the Stanley Cup. (Insert picture here.) In the old bank vault, is the original smaller Stanley Cup, surrounded by glass.
On we went, past more displays and into a room set up to celebrate the men's and women's hockey victories in Vancouver. And, at the back of the room, is the famous golden puck that was so skillfully passed from my man Iggy onto the stick of Crosby and into the net in overtime. I've got a really nice picture of the boys with that one too.
Cammy was in his glory in the Montreal Canadiens 'dressing room'. It was pretty cool. Lots of jerseys with famous names emblazoned on the back - Lafleur, Roy, the Richards - Rocket and Pocket Rocket, Beliveau. And the motto as displayed in Montreal --- Nos bras meurtris vous tendent le flambeau, à vous toujours de le porter bien haut. I figured Ri, after six years of French Immersion could read it easily so I asked her to translate for me. Her butt was saved when she realized it was also written on another wall in English --- To you from failing hands we throw the torch. Be yours to hold it high.
Once we'd seen it all, we departed, grabbed something to eat, and headed back to the train station. Since we misread the eastbound departure time, missed the train by a few minutes and now had about an hour to kill we decided to take a stroll through the station and follow the tunnel to the Air Canada Centre so the kids could see where the Leafs pretend to play hockey every year. The doors were locked. We didn't get a picture.
Soon we were on the GO, heading east, back through Edmonton, Pickering, Ajax, Whitby and finally Oshawa and then on the highway home. One day, you might even get to see the pictures.
5 comments:
Reminds me of a joke;
An older Italian man gets on a bus and tells the bus driver, "I want to go to Eglington." The driver points to the fare box. The older man not understanding the gesture repeats himself. The bus driver points to the box again. The older man looks like he finally understands the gesture and bends down to yell into the fair box, "I WANT TO GO TO EGLINGTON!" hee hee
Haha...the next generation heard of an East Indian doing the same.
What's with Edmonton? You would think that Calgary would be imprinted in their minds. :>]
M.
Exciting. I'd love to take a trip by train sometime with the kids. Seems like the ultimate way to travel with little boys...before they grow up and outgrow that fascination for trains and big machines. Then again, I guess they don't all outgrow it... ;)
All we need now is my Dad to show up with another really bad joke.
Hey Marian - I don't know what's up with Edmonton, although I'm pleased they're at least in the right province and not Massachusetts.
Hi Leah - they thought it was the greatest thing. One day if you're in a city with a train you should take them on it. They'll love it. (It was worth the 40 minute drive just for the picture of Nolan when the train started)
Post a Comment