Pages

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Strawberry Moon

"Ode'min Giizis is the sixth moon of the Anishnaabe calendar. It marks the beginning of summer, the longest day of the year and the harvest of the strawberry in June. The root word of ode'min is ode, which signifies the "heart" in Anishnaabe language. As the strawberry resembles the shape and colour of the human heart it also represents the sweetest and kindest of emotions that bring people together to feast and exchange ideas."

Strawberry season is here! The local pick-your-own opened on Monday and I'm happy to report that I've been twice already. Nolan and I picked a basket on Tuesday and from work today Bev and I headed for the hills at lunch and gathered some more. Mmm, there's nothing like freshly picked strawberries.

I thought I'd picked a full basket. Hmmm


Quote taken from this site.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Time for pie.

Liz said...

Mmmm. I'll be right over.

Leah said...

I just love all the different lunar folk names. Have you ever read Jessica Prentice's seasonal cookbook 'Full Moon Feast'? It's one of my favorites.

-Can't wait for strawberries here! Just put in my plants last year, so it will be our first crop.

Liz said...

Hi Leah - I haven't read it. Think I'll wander over to Chapters now and take a look. How much longer 'til the strawberries are out your way?

Leah said...

I think as soon as we get a few more days of sunshine! There are berries, but they are green yet. You know, the weather here has been unusually cool.