Pages

Saturday, May 1, 2010

First of May

On the first day of every month, we have a little tradition. First, you pinch and punch the person you're getting, and then you say with great exuberance, "Pinch and a punch, the first of the month, and no returns." The same applies for the last of the month, changing, of course, "first" for "last". Mum taught us that one when we were young'uns and I'd always figured it was a English thing, until my British cousin told me she'd never heard of it. So, I've no idea where it comes from. The kids love it, though.

This brings me to the first of May. Ready?

"First of May!
Pinch bum day."

Oh, come on. Don't tell me you don't do that too.

I'll leave you with a picture or two of my bloomin' apple trees.

I don't think I've ever seen this many blossoms on them

Let's hope we get lots of apples!


6 comments:

Sharon Longworth said...

I've always said 'pinch-punch the first of the month and no returns' and if I'm not the first to get that in, then my dad taught me a good follow-up - ' a pinch and a kick for being so quick - and no returns'.
But I think it might be a southern English thing - my beloved, who hails from the cold north, had never heard of it either. For some bizarre reason his first of the month saying is 'white rabbits, white rabbits' - there's no accounting for some folk.....

Anonymous said...

When you first open your eyes you are supposed to say Rabbit, rabbit, rabbit. This is too bring good luck the rest of the month.

Liz said...

"A Pinch and a kick"! I forgot that one! I was kind of hoping one of you might have heard of it and chime in. Mum was from Portsmouth and grew up in Southampton. It threw me, though, when my cousins hadn't heard it.

Never heard the white rabbit saying. Other than the Jefferson Airplane song.

Thanks Sharon!

Liz said...

Anonymous, you really must identify yourself. I've never heard this before?

Liz said...

Hi Leah. Twice a month, every month we do it. And all kids, big and small get quite a kick out of it.

I haven't heard the "pinch poke" before. But, whenever we saw a VW Bug we said "punch buggy blue" (or whatever colour it was) and punched the person. If it was a station wagon, it was "slap jack green". We were rather violent, really.

Where in Ontario was he? (Am I allowed to ask that?)

Leah said...

Markham, but that was years ago now.