Yesterday the boys and I again decided to take a stroll into the village. Paul wasn't invited. Around 2:30, with the week's baking cooling on the kitchen table, we put on our walking shoes and headed out the door, across the road, up the mucky unassumed path and onto the old railway line. Within minutes Cammy had a lightsaber in his hands and was a swashbuckling Han Solo. Nolan and I were immediately on the lookout for another, uh, weapon. Fortunately, the path is bordered by lots of trees and shrubs and lightsabers abound. The trick, however, is finding the right one. The star wars heroes' mummy doesn't want her brave warriors getting a splinter.
Moments later we found what would be the first of three lightsabers. This one, while a little long and with too much bark, was an okay start. After a short duel between Han and Luke Skywalker, it ended up in the woods. Onward. The discovery of the next saber led to a masterful demonstration of parries, counter-parries and fancy footwork. I'm making that up. General Grievous and Anakin Skywalker (who, in the blink of an eye, could morph into a Jedi hunter) whacked their sticks together. Big smiles with each whack.
When we reached the gate at the highway, the lightsabers were stashed in the woods (just in case the Dark Assassin showed up, I reckon), and, transforming into earthlings quicker than Darth Vader can say "No, I am your father", we hiked along the highway and into the store. Minutes later, with goodies in our pockets, we again left civilization, and began the long trek home. Kids are so fun to hang out with. And nobody got a splinter.
14 comments:
Hi Liz, lovely story. Whenever we go for a walk in the woods, I have an almost irresistible urge to find the largest, sturdiest stick or two that I can carry. No Starwars figures in mind (although there are occasions when I'd like to see myself as Princess Leia but that's another tale)but I do often pretend I'm Nordic walking through unknown territory. One day I might grow up......
That was really lovely. Sounds like you role was a sort of Director, George Lucas perhaps. Liked the special effects a lot (aka sticks). I can confirm that Sharon often brings home a large part of a tree. To describe such an item as a stick would be short of the mark.
Looks like the remains of an outhouse to me.
Were you wearing your astro-Birks?
Hi Sharon - It's a fair walk to the village, especially for the legs of a four-year old but they, well, we had a blast. I don't think any of us should completely grow up. And I look forward to the tale you may spin as a Nordic...
Hello Philip - My role was more of a prop manager, I'd say. The lightsabers were quite something but you should have heard the sounds that went with them.
You have no imagination, A. You'll have to join us for a stroll sometime.
(The building's actually some derelict structure associated with the old railroad)
Actually, C3P0 was tuning my astro-Birks up. I was slumming in my super sonic shoes.
Did I do pretty good here? I mean, I've never seen any of the Star Wars movies. Was it Harrison Ford that played Han Solo? Did your heart flutter?
Hey, I was in love with Harrison Ford from 1978 to 1988.
Can't remember the blurb of Hollywood heros since then, but currently I drool over Viggo Mortensen.
He was in Millbrook a few years back filming a movie...that's name escapes me.
A History of Violence. That's what it was.
That was an awful movie.
And by the way, thanks for telling me he was in town.
*rolls eyes*
No problem, palsie.
Post a Comment