Pages

Sunday, April 25, 2010

Lettuce Turnip and Pea

My Mum used to say that - always elicited a big laugh from me and my little brother Enos. I know. It's not really that funny. (Speaking of not funny, have you heard my Dad's jokes?...hope he doesn't read this.) And I never really liked turnips either. They're awful. Anyhoo, yesterday, I got the wee little side garden weeded and turned. We dug it last year with the intention of moving the saskatoon bushes this spring but I've changed my mind. I've commandeered it for peas. Ha-ha! I dare Bambi and her evil minions to fiendishly sneak up this close to the house and devour my veggies. Evil, evil, cute little deer...and so evil.

Nolan and Cammy planted some sugar snap peas around the tipi (tepee? tee-pea? get it? Yes, folks; the laughs never end around here. And it's all free.) I threw in a couple short rows of radishes too. I was hoping to get some lettuce started but ran out of room. Maybe next weekend. I'll tell you, though, it feels good to get something in the ground at last. Not long now 'til the risk of frost passes and the season kicks into full gear. I look forward to this all winter 'cause there's nothing quite like the feeling you get watching a patch of dirt turn into a sea of green, full of the freshest, tastiest veggies you can imagine and then sharing the bounty with the people around you. Brings a smile to my face just thinking about it...

Nolan - my faithful helper

7 comments:

Sharon Longworth said...

We had similar fun yesterday - plsnting parsnips and peas, though probably not as much laughter.
Your post reminded me of my mum's strange sayings when I was young and nagging her for dinner - Me: "what's for dinner today?" Her "sawdust and hay", "air pie" or, my particular favourite - "bread and pullit". Haven't thought of that for years, so thanks for the memories.

Liz said...

Glad I could return the favour, Sharon. Your post about 'the fire' made me laugh out loud.

I'm going to try parsnips for the first time ever - not sure I've even tasted them before but we'll give them a go.

Dorito said...

What about Russian blue potatoes?

Do they have them at the coop?

Liz said...

Haven't looked yet as it's still a bit early I think, but that's where I got them last year. Want me to pick some up for the bother-in-law?

Dorito said...

Ahem. It was a hint for me to drop on over.

Liz said...

Oh. Well, if you really want to.

(Do I sound like Cameron?)

Liz said...

Just kidding, palsie!! Come on over any time you like! (I won't tell Cammy)