Pages

Friday, March 19, 2010

Hoosiers and Old Receipts

March Break has come and all but gone. We've had absolutely incredible weather, running about ten degrees above normal.The kids spent the week with their friends at Julie's - Ri and Cammy especially happy to be with the kids that they rarely see. As there was no one to hang out with on Wednesday, Riley and I stayed home and worked on her science fair project. Turns out they haven't changed much since my school days; I still hate them. Don't tell the kids though, 'kay? She has decided to show the effect of salt water on plants. She has two plants and hopefully one will wilt or turn yellow or whatever.

The kitchen has been treated to a much-needed spring cleaning. Drawers and cupboards have been cleaned out and lots of crap has been sorted through. Feels good to have my counter back and be able to find things without moving this and that out the way. Here's hoping it lasts.

My old hoosier is looking mighty spiffy too. I went through a stack or two of neglected cookbooks (among other things), putting aside a bunch for the reuse-it centre at the dump and placing the rest in plain sight so that we might use them.

There were a couple of treasures to be found too. An old copy of Mrs. Beeton's Cookery Book was amongst the mess as well as Mum's Better Homes and Gardens 'New' Cookbook. Mrs. Beeton's belonged to Mrs. Holloway, a sweet older lady who lived across the street when I was a kid, and had given the book to Mum. (She also gave me two little kissing ceramic angels which I still have but that's another story.) Mum has a note in the book that it's from around 1920. Very cool. To brother Enos' great horror, the Apple Betty recipe is missing from Mum's book. Thankfully for all, I have a copy safely tucked away. Phew.



6 comments:

Dorito said...

Wow. When you said you were going to clean the kitchen, I thought you were kidding.

Liz said...

*whispers to self*

'don't let her see the counter'

Dorito said...

Hehehe...see...the counter is the first thing you see when you walk into your kitchen.

I feel like throwing everything out onto the front lawn.

"Help yourself", the sign would say.

Liz said...

Yes, which is why everything lands there. I doubt there's much that anyone would want, though. Besides, the lawn is gone - the snow has returned. The robins look truly baffled.

Dorito said...

Robins always look baffled. Why do their eyes bulge so?

Liz said...

It's the tights, batman.