Pages

Friday, January 8, 2010

The Law, According to Murphy

Okay, so why is it, when there's a largish expenditure that's planned for in one's life (for example, oh, let's go with windows) that other largish things go for a crap shortly after said planned expenditure?

I whined the other day about the furnace. Well, the guy's coming out today (I thought it was yesterday but must not have been listening ag
ain) to take a look. Paul's thinking (I'm praying) that it's a relay. Let's hope. Smallish expenditure.

This week we had some work done on the truck. The ole darling's eleven years old now and is in need of some TLC. This was a sort-of planned expenditure; we knew it was coming and the timing worked out best as we'd be down to one vehicle for a few days. Wouldn't call this a smallish expenditure but was certainly less than the windows. Mediumish expenditure?

Okay. Today, Paul, along with the ole darling of a truck, made a dump run. We're not spoiled like our neighbours across the road in that other township who have weekly garbage pickup. We're a hardy bunch over here and can fend for ourselves - we don't have garbage pickup at all. That's not bitterness you sense. Seriously. I digress. After leaving the dump, Paul was heading east along the 8th line when the brake line snapped. I should mention as one drives away from the dump, one approaches 28 highway. Ooh. That's bad. Had it been me, panic would've set in. Instead, Paul spewed a long string of cuss words, engaged the emergency brake and brought the ole darlin' to a stop. Just before the intersection at 28. Phew.

So, here I am, back home, after picking Paul up and waving adieu to the ole darlin' as she happily rode on the back of a towtruck up 28 to the shop. Paul's hoping Trevor takes pity on us and gives us a break (so to speak) on the bill. (Paul already thinks Trevor feels sorry for us because the ole darlin' is a Dodge and not a GM truck. Whatever.) I'm hoping for good payment terms.

Wow. I feel a lot better. And, Dorito - it doesn't bother me if you thought this was a longish post and skipped this well-thought out story and went right to the picture because it's some dumb NASCAR thing. Sometimes you've just gotta whine, even if no one listens. On the up side, i
t's good for a day off work.

The spot where the ole darlin' should be. *sniff*


6 comments:

Unknown said...

That is why I'm glad I have one brother in law that is a mechanic and one brother in law that is a furnace guy. Now if only Dorito would marry a plumber, we would be set for life.

Liz said...

You make a good point, Cookie. Now I'm going to go and check Paul's lottery ticket.

Dorito said...

The poster caught my attention, and I read the long long long post.

Windows, furnace, truck. Everything comes in 3s.

Meetzorp said...

Glad to hear the e-brake did the trick. I had that happen with my old Volkswagen once and ended up unintentionally parking it on somebody's conveniently steep lawn!

Wow, what a peach of a day, though. There are some days that I am absolutely convinced are cursed.

Liz said...

Dorito - I noticed today that the poster is ripped. You know, no good. Like Jr.

Liz said...

Hi Meetzorp - Paul was glad the brake worked too. Good thing the kids weren't with him or they would have learned lots of new words. ;o)

Not sure about this 2010 thing yet -- jury's still out.