Pages

Thursday, December 10, 2009

It Snowed, It Rained, It Snowed Some More

All the school buses were cancelled yesterday, both county and city. On days when just the rural buses are cancelled, I often drive the kids to school on the way to work. They complain a bit, but they don't miss anything. When all buses are cancelled, and depending on the roads, I sometimes take the kids to Julie's and then go in to work. Yesterday, I had to think on it a little longer and decided that, because of the rain in the forecast, we would all stay put. Glad we did. When Paul came home from work, he got down on one knee and gave thanks to the gods of four-wheel drive. (Okay, he didn't really do that.) On the way down our road, he had passed an abandoned car that hadn't made it up the hill and further along another car was stuck. The snowplow finally went by around 5.

But I like snow days. They're good for the soul. Kinda like playing hookey but using a vacation day to make it legit. There was enough snow for t
he kids to spend some time outside tobogganing. They even made a snowman. You know they're growing up when they no longer have to ask their dear ole Ma for help.

The first good snowfall feels like a stew day. And we had stew. Yummy, Chuckwagon stew. With still-warm cornbread. Mmmm. I like snow days.



6 comments:

Philip Dodd said...

I'm soooooo jealous! This time last year we got snowed in (doubtlessly not as seriously as you do over there!). I had two fantastic days playing in the snow. Didn't have the excuse of kids. Just me and my beloved adult stepdaughter. We both behaved like kids though, if that counts.
Philip

Dorito said...

The leaning snowman.

Is that carrot nose from your garden?

The shoveling was so bad yesterday, it would have been easier just to roll huge balls rather than shovel.

You know what? I think the worst part was scraping the 5 inches of ice off the cars this morning.

I want the fluffy snow.

Liz said...

I'd say that counts. Seems to me that if you're gonna have a few months of freezing temperatures, you might as well have snow and have some fun in it.

Liz said...

Talk about packing snow. That snowman was up in no time. But, no, the carrot is not from my garden. We finished them long ago. (Mental note: plant more next year)

Anonymous said...

Winter
==========
When I was a kid in the ''30's
out in Saskatchewan in the
winter,when the temp.went
down to -20 or so[F] the
horses would wiggle their
bums into the strawstack to
keep warm then in the morn.
they would look out with
white whiskers and false
eyelashes of frost and snow.
I had a wonderful childhood.
No kidding.
Daddy.

Liz said...

Well, Dad, I'm glad you're writing this stuff down. I love reading it.

Does your horse get those frosty eyelashes now?