Pages

Saturday, November 14, 2009

Calling All 'Healthy Snack' Makers

I'm looking for some good kid-yummy, kinda healthy, not too fancy recipes for school snacks. Cammy's our picky eater. He'll eat my banana choc. chip muffins, choc. chip cookies and zucchini brownies (the zucchini part's our secret, okay?). Do you see the common denominator here? Chocolate. Ri likes my oat bars, most muffins and banana bread. Nolie - well, as long as the muffins are minis, he'll eat them.

Does anyone have something yummy they'd like to share? I'd love a plain ole chocolate chip muffin recipe as I'm not struck on mine. Cookies? Squares? Bars? Anything? The only condition is no nuts. What do you say? Can you help?

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Where did everybody go?

Liz said...

Hmmm, yes. Either no makes healthy snacks or no one wants to share. So much for that idea.

Unknown said...

I'll share with ya Lizzy.

Did you try the beet cupcakes yet?

You never did tell me if the kids liked the zucchini 'burgers'.

Blueberry Buttermilk Muffins

2 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon soda
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup buttermilk (1tbsp vinegar and add milk to make 1 cup)
4 ounces butter
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen (can replace these with chocolate chips)



Sift dry ingredients together in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk eggs, buttermilk and butter that has been melted and browned slightly. Make a well in dry ingredients and pour in liquid ingredients, mixing quickly. Fold in the berries. Spoon batter into greased muffin cups and bake until golden brown. Bake at 400 F for 20 -30 minutes. Recipe makes 24 blueberry muffins.
I usually make two batches and put one muffin pan on top rack and one on middle and switch half way through. Muffins just turn out better when you bake a double batch.

Unknown said...

Forgot to say that I usually make jumbo muffins so a double batch would only make 24 for me hence only the two muffin pans. Do people say hence anymore? lol

Liz said...

I knew I could count on you, Cookie. 'Though I really thought Dorito would come through too. You know - coffee cake, coffee liqueur brownies, espresso cream pie...well, you get the picture.

Unknown said...

This recipe is from "Simply in Season Children's Cookbook"

Fantastic!


Secret Chocolate Cake

Preheat oven to 350F (180C)

2 cups beets (500ml)

1/2 cup applesauce (125ml)


Boil beets for 20 minutes. Drain, cool, peel, and chop.

Puree with applesauce in blender. Set aside.


1 1/2 cups sugar (375ml)

1/2 cup oil (125ml)

1/2 cup plain yogurt (125ml)

3 eggs

1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla



Beat together in large mixing bowl 2 minutes.


1 1/2 cups flour (375ml)

1 cup whole wheat flour (250ml)

1/2 cup baking cocoa (125ml)

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt



Mix into batter with beet mixture just until blended.

Pour half of batter into greased bundt pan.



1 cup chocolate chips (250ml)


Sprinkle on top of batter in bundt pan.

Pour remaining batter on top.

Bake in preheated oven 45 -50 minutes.



Variation:

Use sour cream instead of yogurt and all white flour.



Cupcakes:

Make 24 cupcakes. Using two racks (upper and middle), switch after 11 minutes...second tray added two more minutes. Bake at 325F.

Liz said...

Mmmm. Chocolate. You were kind enough to type that all out hence we will take the time to make it.