Pages

Monday, October 12, 2009

Back in the Sauce

This morning I had a call from a friend at work. She was planning to make pickles and had borrowed my canning stuff but, alas, she couldn't find cucumbers anywhere. She wanted to let me know that she had dropped my stuff off at work. She knew that I had plans for applesauce.

We ran out of sauce shortly after the rationing began in May. Paul picked up a half-bushel of b-grade Spartans from Allin's on the way home from work on Thursday. These are great apples - nice and sweet so no sugar added, and we end up with a lovely pink sauce. Not one to mess with a good thing, I used the ole standby instructions and my precious maslin pan. Have I mentioned that I love that maslin pan? Anyhoo,
I put up 10 jars today. We're back in the sauce.


6 comments:

Leah said...

Definately feeling the maslin pan love here too.

Liz said...

Aren't they the greatest?!

Dorito said...

Nice picture. Who's clean counter is that?

Liz said...

We had Dad & Eliz over for supper on Saturday so all the papers were thrown in the cupboard. Duh. Enos came too but we don't clean for him.

Eco Yogini said...

hmmm, I have JUST discovered that I can make applesauce- how do you preserve it? or do you?
I'm going to check out the link :)

Liz said...

Hi EcoY - the link has all the info you'll need. It helps to have some equipment. I have the Foley food mill (the silver thing with the crank that's in my picture) and it works beautifully. You'll also need a canner. Last year I canned about 30 jars of sauce and plan to do more this year. It's not hard - you should give it a go.