Pages

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Strawberry Dream Cream

Riley received a cookbook for her birthday, called 'Simply in Season Children's Cookbook.' It's chock full of yummy seasonal goodness and Ri's been itching to try it out. All in good time, I say, as ingredients become locally available - which is, after all, the point of the book.

Awhile back, my co-worker, Bev, dug out some mint from her garden and gave it me. (I love when people share like that.) So, Ri made Oran
ge Minty with it. Ya, I know - orange isn't exactly seasonal here...ever, but now she knows a little about mint and how to use it. Baby steps. (It's more than I knew when I was ten.)

Last night we moved on to the next big recipe. Any guesse
s on the main ingredient? I'll give you a couple of hints. It's June and it starts with straw...yes, good. We've still got lots of strawberries so she made Strawberry Ice Cream. Here's how she did it...

Strawberry Dream Cream

(from Simply in Season Children's Cookbook)

500 - 750ml strawberries (2 - 3 cups)
Remove stems from strawberries. Use a fork to mash strawberries in a bowl.


500 ml whipping cream (2 cups)
Pour whipping cream into a large, deep mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer until soft peaks form.


300 ml sweetened condensed milk (1-1/4 cups)
250 ml cold water (1 cup)
6 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp salt


Add with mashed strawberries to whipped cream. Beat with electric mixer. Pour mixture into a 3.5L pan (9" x 13"). Freeze until mushy, 3 to 4 hours. Remove from freezer and put back into mixing bowl. Beat with electric mixer until smooth but not melted. Spoon into popsicle containers or return mixture to pan. Freeze another 3 hours.

~~~~~~~

For dessert tonight, we had ice cream. Strawberry ice cream. Like ice cream should taste.


3 comments:

Dorito said...

What will you be doing with blueberries?

Dorito said...

Happy Canada day!

Liz said...

Blueberries? Hmmm. Could make ice cream out of them, I s'pose. Usually I freeze them and use them in breads and muffins.