Pages

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Rice Lake Strawberries

Riley, her friend Kaitlin, Cammy and Nolan and I headed out strawberry picking yesterday at the U-pick in Cavan. Lots of people there with their baskets ready to go and no berries to pick. Turns out this hasn't been a good year in this neck of the woods because of the cool spring and late frost. So, we went with option two and bought a couple of small baskets of prepicked and left. As we drove toward home I remembered the ads in the Millbrook Times for both the Berry Patch in Cavan and Johnston's down below Bailieboro. Well, it occurred to me that it's not often one has this much child labour available - and willing, to boot - so we headed towards Rice Lake. Twenty minutes or so later we pulled into the farm.

We followed the signs around the barn and to the patch, parked the van and were lead to a couple of rows of luscious berries. I put the kids t
o work while I set up a chair and umbrella and sipped on a Mike's Hard Lemonade. Berry flavour, it was. Alright. That's a lie. I picked too. But I've put it on my shopping list.

In no time, we had these beauts...


Now, all that's left it is to get Cookie to teach me how to make a pie crust. Oh, Cookie...

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm ready when you are Liz.

Liz said...

This summer. 'Kay? D. can entertain Cammy and Nolie, G. can annoy li'l E and Ri and you can show me how to make crusts. This is exciting. My plan is to get some time off in August...hopefully you'll be home when I get there. ;o)

Dorito said...

Can I come?

I'll be quality control.

Liz said...

Sure you can Dorito. (Right Cookie?) Although, I was thinking of you more as the sideshow.

Unknown said...

Crowd control.

Liz said...

Yes. To keep the crowds away from those yummy pie crusts.