Pages

Monday, June 22, 2009

My Favourite Things


Ah, daisies. They're my absolute favourite flower and they grow in wild abundance around here. And there's nothing like a lovingly picked bouquet hand delivered by my boys.

Looking at this picture reminded me of a song I heard a lot as a kid. I think it was sung by Max Bygraves. Brother Enos and I weren't big fans...you could say we hated those albums. But Mum was British and a big fan. Looking back, I guess it's kind of catchy...

Daisy, Daisy,
Give me your answer do!
I'm half crazy,
All for the love of you!
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage.
But you'll look sweet upon the seat,
Of a bicycle built for two.

I have no plans to quit my day job.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good thing Sis! :>} How was your homegrown salad last night?

Liz said...

Thanks. Thanks a lot.

Salad was good. Radishes and chives transformed it from just a salad to 'wow, that's an awesome salad.' All right. It wasn't that great but it was nice to have something homegrown in it.

Anonymous said...

Dear Liz,
I have just had Mark sing me the 'daisy song' -this all done without reading your lyrics. I guess it is an English thing!
He then proceeded to play it on piano for me. :}
Did you know that 'my' flower for my name is the daisy.
See- there is a real reason why you like that flower!:}
Love Margaret

Liz said...

I knew he'd know it. How 'bout this one..."If You Knew Susie, Like I Know Susie..."

Betcha he knows that one too.

Unfortunately, in the reminiscinces (that doesn't look right), I end up thinking of Vera Lynn. Oh, boy; another fabulous album. Seems to me, Mum also referred to her as "Moaning Minnie".

Dorito said...

Moaning Minnie. Hehehe...

My neighbour used to play Vera Lynn all the time.

Our generation knows pop culture from the 1900s up to the present time. I think we were caught in the middle or something. I guess as there wasn't any tv programming specifically aimed at children (specialty channels), we ended up watching old movies, tv reruns instead.

The younger kids know nothing previous to 1990. Haha.

*sings*
Yes we have no bananas todayyyy...

Liz said...

Yes. Moaning Minnie. Seems about right, too.

But let's not forget Mitch Miller and the Gang and Englebert Humberdinck. Betcha Enos has all those albums. Of course he's the only one with a turntable.