Much of the work breaking the sod and turning the soil was done a few weeks ago. Can't remember which birthday we were celebrating but I missed the prep jobs. Potatoes, tomatoes and some other veggies had also been planted, all to be donated to Millbrook Food Share. After speaking to Joanne on Saturday, it was decided that tonight the newbies would meet up with the rest and get our hands dirty. And so we did.
First job was to get some hills, well, hilled and Nancy and I planted the squash and pumpkins. Then I readied the soil and in went the zucchini seeds which will be donated to the Millbrook Zucchini Festival. (You're laughing, aren't you, Dorito?) Leaves were thrown down between hills and straw, donated by the Reeve, placed on top of that.
The kids came along for the ride and were awesome, spending their time at the playground behind the Old School. Riley even met up with a classmate whose family has rented a plot. The kids can't wait for the weeding to begin, although I'm not so sure they have any intention of helping. Sure can go high on those swings though.

5 comments:
It was a bit surreal. I'm not usually a part of anything, so to be a witness to this community gathering was actually quite touching...okay, the Border Collies present really made my day.
I know. It was all about the K-9s. And then the shoes. I came home from planting pumped. It felt good to be part of this. And had a good chat with Joanne (who we spoke with on Saturday) about, among other things, local food. One of the reasons they got into this. I like these people.
Just got back from the market in Ptbo - Ri's at a birthday party. Picked up some Keene-fresh eggs.
"Peachy-Keene" I used to say that all the time when I was a kid.
The picture of the sign:
It looks like the sign was put out for recycling..
Ya. I'm not sure why they moved it. At least it was still there to pose
Post a Comment