A few weeks ago an article appeared in the local village paper about the start-up of a community garden. Tonight there was a meeting so I braved the crappy weather and went out to learn more about it.Millbrook is our closest big village. There are several stores in Millbrook that don't start with the word 'General' and there's a grocery store. The kids have taken skating lessons there and it is home to the cutest little bowling alley. There are even two four-way stops. We're talking about a happening place. (And there's this house on the main street that has a tarp for a roof and was jacked up for a lot of last year - you could see right through to the backyard - crazy. Just like the owners. One of whom I work with. ;o) )
Anyway, a group of women came together with this wonderful idea for a community garden, approached the Township late last year, and have almost everything in place to get started. The only hold-up now is finalizing paperwork with the YWCA in Peterborough for insurance reasons. Nothing's ever simple but they seem to have things under control and the work can begin soon.
The Township has 'donated' 7200 square feet next to the Old Millbrook School and plots will be allocated to both individuals and Millbrook Food Share, that is located within the school. Volunteers are already lined up for tilling or plowing the garden and, as Millbrook is the centre of a large farming community, it would seem that manure is readily available. Members of Council were present too. Peterborough Green-Up is a nearby source of compost. And local businesses have donated seeds.
There was a good turnout and people seemed extremely interested. They put on a good presentation. After questions and answers, I wandered over to the sign-up sheets and added my name. I'll be volunteering my exceptional weeding skills to the Food Bank. Maybe I'll even gain some insight into growing sweet peppers. Stupid peppers.
Picture courtesy of this site.
4 comments:
You didn't sign me up too, did you? I've already been conscripted for the 2010 Peterborough thingamabob.
Volunteering once every decade is enough for me.
Seriously, Many hands really do make light work! Pure Genius.
Sounds like a great way to get involved in a small community. Makes me think I really should join my local gardening club one of these years. (My sweet peppers could use some help too.)
Glad you've seen the merits of many hands and light work. You mentioned you may pop in on Saturday? Bring your garden Birks. There's peas to plant.
Hi Leah. I didn't know a soul at the meeting - we're just far enough out that we're not really part of the community. But I really believe in this community garden idea - allowing people without a plot of land to grow their own food - and to be able to help out the food bank at the same time, is exciting.
As for the sweet peppers, I've all but lost hope. And I'll probably buy a couple of plants again this year because it really bugs me that I can't figure them out. :o)
Post a Comment