Pages

Saturday, March 14, 2009

The Last Spike

What a start to the kids' March Break! This morning I saw three robins searching for worms on the lawn. A sign of spring! The starlings have also returned and were investigating the beam under the carport for nests. Yes, a sign of spring! This is also a great improvement on the location they used to choose - inside the barbecue. And, as if that wasn't enough, I had the sheets out drying on the line today. Yep, another sign of spring!

Riley went to a birthday party today. It was a surprise - for Riley - as we received a call last night inviting her to hang out with her friend
, Abby, who is the birthday girl's older sister. Ri made a bead necklace and wrote a story about a princess for the now five year old birthday girl. And she had a great time. Riley especially likes playing on the swing rope out in their barn. Sure enough, when I picked her up, I found her out there swinging back and forth with another girl while everyone else was inside doing crafts.

While she was at the party, the boys and I went for a walk. Today we ventured across the road, up the unassumed road and onto the path that leads into the village. The path used to be the old railway line that went into Lindsay but now it's used largely for snowmobiles, ATVs and dirtbikes. And sometimes by us. The great thing about this path is the rocks. Just ask the boys. We have a growing collection of smooth rocks, pink rocks, sparkly rocks and, well, I could go on, but you get the picture. We did find a treasure today that was not made out of rock. Cammy is now the proud owner of an old railroad spike. Quite a find.

6 comments:

Dorito said...

Boring. NEXT!

Okay, now I know what to get the boys for their birthday. A rock collection.

Have you thought of buying a rock tumbler? Just remember to have it running in the garage and not in your house. Very loud machines.

Unknown said...

Rock on!

Anonymous said...

Dearest Liz
That was the same path I went on with Riley years ago and found the .22bullet which I then put in my pocket and forgot about it and actually went through security at the airport with it still there and was never picked up!
By the way -I like the idea of the barbie pink being my main colour with a flash of blue through the middle. The size needs to be a tad smaller than Mark's as his basically slides over the face and lands down around my chin! Visibility would be a problem.
Hey- you could make eye holes in it for me!
Margaret

Liz said...

Yep, same path. When Flapper Lips Lulu was here, she, Becca & Ri went for a walk (they went straight through instead of turning onto the path) and found raspberries growing wild. We've got it all. Right here. (That's also the new township slogan)

I'll start working on your hat - pink with blue - and will make it a bit smaller. I'm afraid there's no chance in hell that you'll have it by your birthday (that lack of coordination thing - you know) but hopefully by the next big snowfall. You're not expecting anymore snow this winter, are you?

Liz said...

Let's compare the first comment and the third.

Boring. NEXT!

and

Dearest Liz

Dorito you should start your comments this way.

The boys don't need a rock collection - they've got that pretty much covered. They could use a small bag to carry them in. Lately, they've been using their hats and they probably won't last long like that. Gee, wish I knew someone who sewed, maybe had a new machine, and wanted to try a small bag. You know, Nolan really likes you.

Liz said...

Hey Margaret - I was just thinking that we need to come up with a nickname for you. We've got SCUMbaagg and Flapper Lips Lulu. Should I ask Peddles what he used to call you?