Today was parent/teacher interview day. I didn't have a date set up with Cameron's teacher but I did speak with Riley's teachers. Both kids had pretty good first term report cards - solid Bs in most subjects with a C or two thrown in. Room for improvement without doubt, but a good start.
I met Riley's teachers, Mme. L. and Mme. F., in the classroom and we began with the same subject that is discussed every year. Let's see, how did it go last year? Ah yes. Ri's teacher M. L. said, "Riley...is a daydreamer."
And I thought, "Shit."
"But that's okay," he continued. "She's an artist."
Nice recovery. Seriously, though, he had a point. Just because I loved math in school, doesn't mean she will. I hated doing art. She likes it. And loves drama. And music. We're different people and that's okay. But she still has to do math.
So, this year we discussed her lack of focus again. And we tried to come up with some ideas to help her pay attention.
Then they told me how much they like Riley. How much she enjoys story time (or whatever 9-year olds would call it). Her zest, at times, for singing, "Oh Canada." How mature she is. (I wondered briefly if we were talking about my Riley.) And then my motherly pride kicked in.
Mme. L. asked if Riley had told me about Kabba speaking to the class. Kabba Williams, if you don't know, is believed to be Sierra Leone's youngest child soldier and was forced to fight at the age of 6. He's been in Canada for a few weeks, speaking to local schools, advocating for children and staying with Mme. L. and her family.
I told her yes, she had told me about Kabba.
There was a tear in her eye. She stopped for a moment, took a breath and told me how passionate Riley had been when she stood, pounded her fist on her desk and declared, "That's just wrong. Children should never be treated that way. That shouldn't happen..."
Well, I had a tear or two in my eyes too, damn it. You know - Riley can be dramatic. She can be over-the-top. But I know, deep down, that she meant every word. She's been taught to speak the truth and stand up for what's right in this world and I see the makings of something really good in our midst. I've never felt prouder of my girl, than I did today.
~Liz
8 comments:
No swearing, I am nine years old and u think that I am going to be saying
"oh SHIT"????? WRONG!!!!!!And u think
im not allowed to say it? What about u?Who's the 1 who says"WATCH UR LANGUAGE"???not u!
~Riley**
Uh huh. Good thing I'm so proud of you or I'd have to get the soap out and wash your mouth...young lady. :o)
I'll try and post this again without typos...
Yep. A good ole fashioned pinch would do...problem is, Riley pinches back.
Do you want me to get the soap out after all?
Ya. You can also give her a bath.
The apple does not fall far from the tree. Great job mom!
Thanks. I guess Dad may have something to do with this too, eh?
What? You swore as a child?
I've been swearing like a sailor lately. I've really got to stop hanging around the port.
Post a Comment