Pages

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Lemons and Blueberries

This morning I was grabbing something out of the freezer downstairs when I noticed one of the thousands of bags of frozen blueberries that had been packed away. I was out to Wilmot several times this past summer, sometimes dragging kids kicking and screaming (mwahahaha), once picking peacefully by myself and, on the final visit, I even managed to put the hubby to work out there. Oh, I love picking berries. The blueberries this summer were beautiful...to look at, anyway; quite honestly, I can't stand the taste of them. But everyone else in the family loves them and a bowlful of blueberries is devoured in seconds.

Tonight I was bored and looking for something to do. Okay. Not really. But the kids were actually...wait for it...getting along and I wanted to use some of those berries so I looked through my collection of recipes and found this one for Lemon Blueberry Bread.

I made a couple of changes. First of all, no walnuts. Second, there's no lemon zest in the house so I added more lemon juice. Instead of white sugar, I used icing sugar and added a couple of extra tbsp to
thicken the glaze. Paul and I each tried a slice and it's very moist but more like cake than bread. (That's not a complaint!) Yummy. The glaze adds a nice tang to it although I may add a bit more lemon next time. I think this recipe is a keeper.

~Liz

6 comments:

Dorito said...

I didn't read the post. Can you give me the abridged version?

Da Bonkmonster said...

That Dorito makes me laugh. She is so very funny.

Liz said...

Uh-huh.

Dorito said...

The pictures look yummy, though.

Northern Lights said...

Looks delicious. I'll have to try this one.

Liz said...

Hi Northern Lights. I've made it several times and it's one of our favourites.