Pages

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Cookies and Candyland

Tomorrow is our annual Christmas cookie exchange at work so today 8 dozen cookies had to be made. First things first, though, the boys and I decided to play a rousing game of Candyland. It was a close game, neck-and-neck for quite awhile, until Cammy turned up the Queen Frostine card. Drat. Nolie and I pretty much knew we were done. (Actually, Nolie had no clue; he's just happy that he's figured out how to play the game. "Two gween. One, two, thwee, four." Somehow he ends up at the right place anyway.)

For the cookie bake, I decided to make yummy chocolate mint truffle cookies. Seems to me I make them most years but they are sooo good.


Chocolate Mint Truffle Cookies

4 oz unsweetened chocolate
3 oz semisweet chocolate
3/4 c butter
1-1/2 c granulated sugar
3 eggs
1/2 tsp mint extract

1-1/2 c all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 c mini chocolate chips (the first time I made this I couldn't read my handwriting and used mint chips instead - I've used mint every time since)
1/3 c crushed candy cane
  • In heavy saucepan over medium-low heat or in microwave on low, melt unsweetened and semisweet chocolate and butter. Remove from heat. Whisk in sugar. Whisk in eggs, 1 at a time. Whisk in mint extract.
  • In a bowl, whisk flour with baking powder; stir into chocolate mixture. Stir in chocolate chips. Transfer to bowl. Cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate for 2 hours. (Make ahead: refrigerate for up to 24 hours)
  • Roll dough by heaping teaspoonfulls into 1-inch balls; place 2 inches apart, on parchment paper-lined or greased rimless baking sheets. Bake in top and bottom thirds of oven at 350F until slightly firm to the touch, about 8 minutes, rotating and switching pans halfway through.
  • Remove from oven and sprinkle each cookie with scant 1/4 tsp chopped candy. Let cool on pan on rack for 5 minutes. Transfer to rack; let cool completely. Store in layers separated by wax paper for up to 5 days or freeze for up to 1 month. (Canadian Living, Holiday Best, 2001)
Mmmm, they look good enough for, well, Santa.

~Liz

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks like reindeer poop.

Liz said...

I'm gonna make that next weekend.

Da Bonkmonster said...

looks like too much work. I'll just eat the finished product.

Dorito said...

I'll wait for the reindeer poop, thanks.