One day later and we have four green candles that are better than store-bought. Well, Riley and I think so anyway. Yes, I know, all the materials were store-bought so it's pretty much, um, store-bought but we're pretty pleased, nonetheless. I wasn't sure how they'd come out of the molds but with a little tug on the wick, they fell out easily. There don't appear to be any noxious fumes or odours but I suppose time will tell ;o) (the wax, wicks and dye were all made in the US so I'm not really concerned about that).We use candles at the supper table during the fall and winter. There's a lamp on the old sideboard but it's not quite enough light for the eating area and the light above the table is too bright (alright, so I'm a little picky about my lighting). And that's where the candles come in. I think they'd also make a nice gift.
The results: Two thumbs up! This is a pretty simple project. Putting together a kit from a store was an easy way to try it out. Now that we've done it once, I'd like to find a more local source for wax - beeswax would be a nice option.
~Liz
5 comments:
Was there candlelight when "we" were over for dinner? Hum....I don't believe so..... Or are the candles for only you and your "hubbie"?
Um, hmm. We must've been out of matches? Okay, okay. Next time we'll make sure the 'homemade' candles are lit...does this mean we can't use the soap molds?
Nice candles! You need to find a beekeeper somewhere over there. You'll have all the wax you'll ever need.
There's a tidy profit to be made dealing with beeswax candles.
Hmmm, maybe bees on our property that a beekeeper would look after? Wonder how that works...*lightbulb turns on*...look into that for me, would ya? Do mason orchard bees make wax? 'Scuse me...
Well Done!!!
D.M.Ivie
www.friendlyflames.com
Bringing Candle Making Home
Post a Comment